• Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  08/01/1965
  • Device:  iPhone

On 8/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, gotto said:

Good luck on the open mic! You will do great. Hope someone is capturing the moment for you.

Greg

Well, I did it... I finally performed at my first ever open mic - and survived!

I was encouraged to do it by another performer from the show at the top of this thread. She told me about an open mic she goes to at a nice pub that's on once per month. I went along last month to watch and committed to perform this time. 

When I went to watch I realised how important song choice is, a few people said to me "if I'm going to the pub, I want to hear songs that I know and a few sing-alongs". I noticed that there was a young woman with a beautiful voice and finger style guitar playing 'Fields of Gold', but no-one was watching (except me) and you couldn't hear her over the din.

I tend to play/sing, slow and miserable songs when alone - no good methinks. I found it really difficult to pick some songs though that everyone will know, are more upbeat, that I can play comfortably, that I can sing comfortably. I settled on 'Have You Ever Seen the Rain', 'Daydream Believer' and 'Paint it Black' (yes. miserable but everyone knows it!).

Anyway, on the night the venue was incredibly quiet with far less open mic performers and far less patrons than last time - probably not a bad thing for first time. When I got up, I announced at the mic that this was my first open mic ever, anywhere and was amazed to get a huge cheer before everyone gathered round and actually stopped talking to watch - whoops, I just inadvertently created pressure! Massive cheer at the end of the first song and then everyone returned to their usual private conversations.

I was really pleased how it went. I actually didn't feel too nervous, and people said I didn't look nervous, but the symptoms of nerves appeared. My hands shook, I rushed a bit and missed some chords. I had memorised the songs, but took lyric and chord sheets as a crutch in case I froze. I ended up with my eyes glued to the music stand which impaired the overall performance slightly. 

Overall though: yes, really pleased. I've now done it so no more excuses. The audience were really supportive and probably wouldn't even notice the mistakes if they weren't watching so closely on the first song. I'm determined now to get back out and do it regularly. I've found some other venues and will try to get out to do one live performance per week if possible.

Sorry about the long thread. If anyone reading this would love to perform live but thinks it would be impossible due to nerves, then I say if I can do it - anyone can. You just have to be patient, practice a lot, find performance practice opportunities, simulate performance environment (use a mic/p.a. and create distractions) and finally get out there and do it. First time probably won't go so well - KEEP GOING!

Ian

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

☺️☺️☺️

Congratulations Ian!!!  You got right out there after you stated your intention. Fun how the crowd gave you a boost to get you started. We've all been nervous for one reason or another, eh? Thanks for sharing and inspiring me as I slog through the baby beginner waters.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

Three cheers for you ian. It is hard, standing alone in front of an unknown crowd and performing-I much prefer a group of musicians with me onstage to give girth to the moment and mask any mistakes I may incur.😋  It takes an abundance of courage to do what you did, so take a well deserved bow. Don't worry about hiccups in an open mic-it comes with the territory. An audience appreciates the effort, much as they do for karaoke. You are a star for the moment-shine brightly! Congrats.

Greg 

• Thanks 1