• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  7

Well this isn't the song that I planned to post this month but I am running out of time and when I tried to record that song today it is nowhere near ready.  So I decided to post this instead.

This was me playing in the student showcase at the 2016 Guitar Gathering.  Steve gave me a very long intro including a plug for this thread.  I actually start playing about, 4:30.

Paul Opitz (@Opie) recorded and posted it.  I hope everyone can open the link.

The audio isn't great and I made a flub, but I really wanted to get something posted this month.  Hope you enjoy it.

Edited by UncleHammy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

On 1/28/2018 at 2:54 PM, Randy120 said:

I finally got to record me Peavey Classic 30. Here is a couple samples from my Sound Check.

The first is just a simple rock rhythm I came up with last night. Maybe someday it will be a song, but for now it is what it is...

The second track adds the Flashback Delay pedal. I am just improvising for the fun of it!!!

Nice Randy.  I really like the rock rhythm especially.

• Member ID:  49
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  08/01/1965
  • Device:  iPhone

Hey Hammy, that's fab! It's really great to see you in the flesh so to speak.

Great to hear Steve's thoughts on both this recording challenge and the collaborations. I think that working together and sharing helps to build strong bonds in the community.

Makes me really wish that I could come to this year's gathering, but it's so far away.

Well done Hammy, looking forward to next months challenge.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  104
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  9

Brilliant Unclehammy. You did not even look nervous! 

Your video has spurred me on to start a Student Collaboration!

Edited by Nutty1
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  7

Thank you @IanD and @Nutty1 that was a lot of fun playing that song at the Gathering, it was only the 2nd time I had played in front of people. (The first was the year before at the Gathering.)

Nervous? Maybe a little but it is a great audience, everyone if very supportive and genuinely happy to see you play no matter your skill level.

• Like 1

This has been a great month for the Monthly Recording Challenge, we have had submission from 7 members including one first time submission for a total of 9 songs.  We have had well over 1000 views on the thread and 80+ comments.

I am so glad that everyone chose to participate this month, I think the switch to the new forum had a lot to do with it as everyone has been very excited with the new forum.  

I hope we can continue to have this level of participation and general interest and I hope that more people will take the opportunity to post whatever they are working on for the rest of us to enjoy.

This thread will always be a safe space for everyone to share, enjoy and encourage each other.

Thank you all for your support and keep those recordings coming.

• Like 4

@UncleHammy, thank you for taking charge of it and managing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And what you should do UncleHammy is have one of the mods close the Monthly Challenge each month so people can't post late  facepalm.gif. But I have been meaning to contribute something for a long time. 

Day Tripper by the Beatles. This is definitely "The Old".  The band that I played in that I posted the picture of played this.  So it really took me back.  The "New" is I have  been trying to learn this for decades (or what seems like).  Started working this in The Song Hits.  Steve, of course, gave me the basics, the riff and the rhythm.  Then I found a couple of sources for the bridge and solo.  The backing track is from Karaoke Version.

It is not where I would like it.  But I came in from the barn, hence the clothes, and recorded it and I'm moving on.  Probably to "Oh, Pretty Woman".

The B chord (going from the C# to the B)  in the chorus didn't ring clearly. I missed at least one note in the solo and towards the end I really got  behind the beat.  But here it is. Warts and all.

Played with the new PRS, into a POD HD500X (with overdrive and a little chorus) into Fender Blues Jr.  The backing track is played on the Boss Eband JS-10.

• Like 3

@matonanjin Thanks for sharing and great job!  The new guitar sounds great.

You were a little past the deadline but we will still take it.

Don't be shy to post next month or whenever you feel like it.

• Member ID:  49
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  08/01/1965

@matonanjin Great job! Really well-played. Even if I could do the riff, I'm sure my fingers would tie themselves in knots part way through.

I hope you have a go at February's challenge too, it would be good to hear more.

Ian 

(ps nice vocals too, sounded just like Paul :P)

• Member ID:  297
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/10/1961

On 28/01/2018 at 9:54 PM, Randy120 said:

I finally got to record me Peavey Classic 30. Here is a couple samples from my Sound Check.

The first is just a simple rock rhythm I came up with last night. Maybe someday it will be a song, but for now it is what it is...

The second track adds the Flashback Delay pedal. I am just improvising for the fun of it!!!

Great tone Randy! That’s a very fine piece of kit, Congratulations. Mark

On 31/01/2018 at 1:33 AM, UncleHammy said:

Well this isn't the song that I planned to post this month but I am running out of time and when I tried to record that song today it is nowhere near ready.  So I decided to post this instead.

This was me playing in the student showcase at the 2016 Guitar Gathering.  Steve gave me a very long intro including a plug for this thread.  I actually start playing about, 4:30.

Paul Opitz (@Opie) recorded and posted it.  I hope everyone can open the link.

The audio isn't great and I made a flub, but I really wanted to get something posted this month.  Hope you enjoy it.

Great to see and hear you UHammy. Thanks again for running this monthly challenge it’s a great idea and gives everyone a push to perform for others. Mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matonanjin said:

And what you should do UncleHammy is have one of the mods close the Monthly Challenge each month so people can't post late  facepalm.gif. But I have been meaning to contribute something for a long time. 

Day Tripper by the Beatles. This is definitely "The Old".  The band that I played in that I posted the picture of played this.  So it really took me back.  The "New" is I have  been trying to learn this for decades (or what seems like).  Started working this in The Song Hits.  Steve, of course, gave me the basics, the riff and the rhythm.  Then I found a couple of sources for the bridge and solo.  The backing track is from Karaoke Version.

It is not where I would like it.  But I came in from the barn, hence the clothes, and recorded it and I'm moving on.  Probably to "Oh, Pretty Woman".

The B chord (going from the C# to the B)  in the chorus didn't ring clearly. I missed at least one note in the solo and towards the end I really got  behind the beat.  But here it is. Warts and all.

Played with the new PRS, into a POD HD500X (with overdrive and a little chorus) into Fender Blues Jr.  The backing track is played on the Boss Eband JS-10.

Super job Matonanjin!  I reckon only you noticed any flubs. ?? Mark 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  332
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, matonanjin said:

Great Job Ron !!  If Paul and Ringo ever want to do a reunion tour, you could fill in for John or George !   Looking forward to seeing you join in with Black Country Communion in about three weeks on the cruise!

Dan Brown

Edited by Dan Brown

Thanks, Dan.  See ya' soon!

• Member ID:  98
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  11/26/1963

On 2/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, matonanjin said:

wow cool beans!!

thanks for sharing. That guitar is sweet!!

Maria

p.s how do you embed the video so it's not just a link like mine?

thanks

Maria

12 hours ago, sleepingangel said:

p.s how do you embed the video so it's not just a link like mine?

Maria

Thanks, Maria.  Regarding the video, what I see of yours is not a video option but a SoundCloud link.  So I am not sure. 

With YouTube Video I just typed in the actual URL address rather than using the link icon and that way it embeds the actual video rather than providing a link.