• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959
  • Device:  Macintosh

Does anyone here have a Taylor T5? If so, how do you like it? And do you gig with it? I just started playing with my church band again, and I'm thinking one of these would come in pretty handy. It would be great to be able to go back and forth between electric and acoustic with one guitar, and sometimes make the switch within the same song.

• Member ID:  53
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/17/1966
  • Device:  Windows

I have no experience with the Taylor, but plenty with the Variax which has some great acoustic models on it including 12 strings, not to mention the alternate tunings. Well worth checking out. The Variax Standard is now built around a Yamaha Pacifica and its a decent guitar in its own right.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  33
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20

20 hours ago, Ice9 said:

I have no experience with the Taylor, but plenty with the Variax which has some great acoustic models on it including 12 strings, not to mention the alternate tunings. Well worth checking out. The Variax Standard is now built around a Yamaha Pacifica and its a decent guitar in its own right.

Thanks, Ice. I hadn't heard of this guitar. I looked at some videos this morning, and wow, this thing is just sick and twisted. Can you really get an acoustic tone that sounds like the real thing? From what I heard in the videos I watched, it sounds very good, but all kinds of tone shaping may have gone on behind the scenes/post-recording for all I know. What kind of amp do you run it through?

Thanks again.

Yes the acoustic settings are very authentic when played through an acoustic amp. I use mine through a line6 pod with an acoustic amp model. They don't sound so good through an amp that's meant for electric guitars however. I think Line6 make amps designed with the  variax in mind and allow you to change from electric/acoustic sounds on the fly but you might need to look into that. You definitely would need an amp designed for acoustics to get the best from the Variax acoustic models but I'm pretty certain that would be the same for the taylor too.

There are also other interesting models such as a banjo, sitar and resonator guitars which are great fun. Also its very useful to be able to change tunings with the twist of a knob. Open G with a dobro setting for example is a lot of fun :)

I have some demos of some stuff I've done with my Variax's ...not great quality but it might help

This is the Variax on a Strat setting

This is Pink Floyds "Mother played to a backing track. The acoustic part was done on my Variax and the solo on a PRS SE

This is my JTV 59 Variax on a 12 string setting. Not great quality I'm afraid

Edited by Ice9
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

I don't have one, but I played a T5 and a T5z. The T5 feels more like an acoustic then electric. The action is fairly high, but the T5 is easier to play than a standard acoustic probably because the strings are lighter. The T5z feels more like an electric guitar. Both play well with a wide range of tones. 

9 hours ago, Ice9 said:

Yes the acoustic settings are very authentic when played through an acoustic amp. I use mine through a line6 pod with an acoustic amp model. They don't sound so good through an amp that's meant for electric guitars however. I think Line6 make amps designed with the  variax in mind and allow you to change from electric/acoustic sounds on the fly but you might need to look into that. You definitely would need an amp designed for acoustics to get the best from the Variax acoustic models but I'm pretty certain that would be the same for the taylor too.

There are also other interesting models such as a banjo, sitar and resonator guitars which are great fun. Also its very useful to be able to change tunings with the twist of a knob. Open G with a dobro setting for example is a lot of fun :)

I have some demos of some stuff I've done with my Variax's ...not great quality but it might help

This is the Variax on a Strat setting

This is Pink Floyds "Mother played to a backing track. The acoustic part was done on my Variax and the solo on a PRS SE

This is my JTV 59 Variax on a 12 string setting. Not great quality I'm afraid

Those are some really nice sounds. Great playing and productions, too. Thanks for sharing. 

I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist for acoustic and a Fender Super Champ for electric. I could plug in to both with an A/B switch. As you said, I would need to do the same with the T5. I was just hoping to avoid carrying two amps. 

I like the altered tuning option, too. I play fingerstyle in DADGAD sometimes, so that could be a great feature. The only negative I see so far is the string spacing at the nut is narrow, only 1 5/8", so fingerstyle may be a challenge. 

I've definitely got to try one of these out. Looks like lots of fun and practical as well.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Randy120 said:

I don't have one, but I played a T5 and a T5z. The T5 feels more like an acoustic then electric. The action is fairly high, but the T5 is easier to play than a standard acoustic probably because the strings are lighter. The T5z feels more like an electric guitar. Both play well with a wide range of tones. 

Thanks Randy. I'm sure I would lean toward the T5 rather than the T5z. I know the T5 has a larger body, flatter fretboard and standard frets, as opposed to the jumbos on the T5z. They're both short scale guitars as well, so that contributes a lot to ease of play. If the action is too high from the factory, lowering it shouldn't be a problem. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

Those are some really nice sounds. Great playing and productions, too. Thanks for sharing. 

I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist for acoustic and a Fender Super Champ for electric. I could plug in to both with an A/B switch. As you said, I would need to do the same with the T5. I was just hoping to avoid carrying two amps. 

I like the altered tuning option, too. I play fingerstyle in DADGAD sometimes, so that could be a great feature. The only negative I see so far is the string spacing at the nut is narrow, only 1 5/8", so fingerstyle may be a challenge. 

I've definitely got to try one of these out. Looks like lots of fun and practical as well.

Thanks again!

I believe the spacing on the JTV 59 is a little wider but I could be wrong. I actually sold mine a short while ago as the neck was too chunky for me. I'm going to be replacing it with the standard model within the next month or two

• Member ID:  64
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  20

Mike- I have not played the T5, but I did attend services where the church music director played a T5 and he switched back and forth during songs and it sounded really nice from out in the cheap seats.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Popeye said:

Mike- I have not played the T5, but I did attend services where the church music director played a T5 and he switched back and forth during songs and it sounded really nice from out in the cheap seats.

Good to know, thanks.

• 4 years later...

• Member ID:  3,172
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah Mike, the T5 is perfect for worship. It's so nice to switch from acoustic to overdrive with the flip of a switch. I've been using my T5C koa at church for about 2 years now. 👍

TaylorGuitar.jpg

Edited by Guit4rM4n
to add picture and to clarify guitar model
  • Like 2