• Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

I purchased 3 pedals in the last year. I have a Flashback Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, and East River Drive overdrive. I have enjoyed playing with them, but I wanted more. I was looking at pedal boards. Even with these few items the cost keeps building. The few pedals I have also created a cable nightmare. I started thinking about multi-effects pedals again. I can't afford the Helix, or Headrush, or high end Boss pedals.

I read reviews about the Boss GT-1 which were pretty positive. It isn't fancy like the more expensive models, but it packs massive power in a small case. The little guy is pretty heavy, and the design feels solid. It has a small screen which allows you to setup amp and effect combos like a virtual pedal board. Operation is pretty simple. There are 3 large easy to use buttons to control moving through different setups, tuner, looper, etc. There are 99 presets, and 99 which I can edit the way I want. There is also a huge online library of patches (presets) to download so support is strong. If you don't have just the right sound then you may be able to download it.

I spent the first night going through all 99 presets. Whew! I really was a little disappointed, and I even thought maybe I would return it.

The second night I played only about 35 presets. I had a blast! I spent more time trying to ring some sound out of it. I mostly play clean, but I am a delay fan so all these choices are a little overwhelming. There really is a huge sound pallet in this little pedal. I haven't found a really good sound setup for a nice warm acoustic, but I read it is in there maybe with some adjustment. There is a some fine hippy-dippy effects in here, and I had some of the most fun with them. I also played what I believe is a Van Halen tribute which actually sounded better when I wasn't playing because the wonderful distorted swirling sounds as the note faded away. It also has a volume/expression pedal which I really wanted.

I think it's a keeper!

Boss GT-1

Edited by Randy120
Clarity
  • Like 3

• Member ID:  243
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1

I just added 99 new patches from the Tone Studio software. I now have 198 different setups in a single pedal. 

Premier Guitar Boss GT-1 Review

• Like 2

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

Looks great Randy, thank you for sharing your opinion on it. Enjoy!🎛😎🎸

• Like 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

Welcome to the digital dark side.

Have fun dialing in the sounds you are looking for.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

"Dark Side" indeed. I have invested much ( money and time in tweaking) into like-devices and there are rewards down the line in the effort. I don't know anything about the Boss unit, but it is all about finding something that inspires and promotes m=one's musical enthusiasm. I have my tube amps as well but the modelers can be very fun. Congrats and have some.

Greg

• Like 1

I don't see it as the dark side at all. I wanted to go there a long time.

I have a Peavey Classic 30, but it needs effects for a little spice. 

My first amp is a Fender G-DEC 30 with a lot of models and amps. I was overwhelmed as a beginner. It has some very cool features, but the menu is not great. Today I can make use of those effects. 

The Boss GT-1 has something along that line, but you actually have a virtual pedalboard on the small screen in front of you. Is it perfect? No. I don't think any of them are. You can also edit your setup on the PC so you can make 99 different song setups for your set list. The patches I downloaded are created by guys who know what they are doing and they very good.

I am going to continue to use my pedals, and eventually I will need a pedalboard.  

Edited by Randy120
Clarity

The expression "dark side" is an expression of die-hard tube enthusiasts, one that I have encountered on occasion  in conversations as I describe my setup to them. Those of us that use modelers have a far different perspective on the versatility and quality of the systems now available in the marketplace. The bad rap on modelers to the skeptics relates to the questionable tonal quality of some of the first and earliest ventures, primarily regarding the distortion effects available in those units. Much has changed over the years as the digital technology has evolved regarding the newer products. I find my Kemper and Fractal units to be superb in accuracy to what I might anticipate with tube play. Playing through a sterile amp and a quality cab even replicates the "air push" of tube amps.Is it it precisely the same as tubes? No, but in a group playing environment, or in a blind ear test ( check out the Chappers- Captain review on the Kemper vrs. Tubes), I believe it is very difficult to hear or feel a difference. even for the experts. and from a recording standpoint, they also excel. So Dark Side is a good collar for modelers to wear, in my opinion. I have no problem with it. That said, I still enjoy playing my amps but in an active group environment, I have set up my equipment to cover all the variations in styles the group needs with less fuss and pedal pushing. Have fun with it.

Greg

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

The dark side I would refer to thd length of time needed to learn your modeler and nothing to do with sound quality. 

Patches twinking, patches downloading,  patch creation, etc.

I spent learning, researching and building tube amps, was a dark side, a rabbit hole, etc as it was 3yrs of not really playing and more of replacing compoients to hear the differences.

Enjoy learning your new Boss.

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

On 7/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, Randy120 said:

I don't see it as the dark side at all. I wanted to go there a long time.

I have a Peavey Classic 30, but it needs effects for a little spice. 

My first amp is a Fender G-DEC 30 with a lot of models and amps. I was overwhelmed as a beginner. It has some very cool features, but the menu is not great. Today I can make use of those effects. 

The Boss GT-1 has something along that line, but you actually have a virtual pedalboard on the small screen in front of you. Is it perfect? No. I don't think any of them are. You can also edit your setup on the PC so you can make 99 different song setups for your set list. The patches I downloaded are created by guys who know what they are doing and they very good.

I am going to continue to use my pedals, and eventually I will need a pedalboard.  

@Randy120 Im glad for you that you've found a digital amp that you are very happy with. Like youI my first ( and still only) amp is a Fender G DEC 30.  I thought as a beginner Electric player that it would be ideal for me. But like you I found a myriad of choices and a not so hot menu confusing and difficult to use. So consequently to this day I only use 1 or 2 of  all the amp models regularly,  (called Jazzmaster )

I'd rather spend my time learnig and playing than fiddle. So, being  fairly dissatisfied with the sound of the amp ad well, I am about to step into the world of tube amps. A somewhat retrogressive step, some would say. No menus, no multiple effects, no 99 amp models; just  built in Reverb and tremolo ;that's it.

Will this lead too massive spending on pedals and make my floor look like it's covered in black spaghetti? I don't think so. But this remains to be seen.   

So Randy I hope you really enjoy your new gear!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,140
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  3

As a serious beginner into the world of pedals and just starting lesson 11 and getting comfortable with the pentatonic forms. I thought it would be best to get a multi effects machine to start an understanding into the effects before investing into numerous individual pedals.....anyone using  Boss Me80? Also, is it easier in the beginning to get a tube amp with a effects board or model,er amp with effects board....so much more to learn and maybe not enough time as the decades seems to move quite quickly these days...appreciate any feedback 🎸😎🎼

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

3 hours ago, ChrisJ032 said:

As a serious beginner into the world of pedals and just starting lesson 11 and getting comfortable with the pentatonic forms. I thought it would be best to get a multi effects machine to start an understanding into the effects before investing into numerous individual pedals.....anyone using  Boss Me80? Also, is it easier in the beginning to get a tube amp with a effects board or model,er amp with effects board....so much more to learn and maybe not enough time as the decades seems to move quite quickly these days...appreciate any feedback 🎸😎🎼

If you're looking for the greatest number of "effects" with the least amount of gear, I'd go with a digital amp that has plenty of them in the amp itself, vs a pedal board. Roland /Boss make some good ones... play don't fiddle with gear.

@ChrisJ032 The Boss ME-80 was one of the pedals I looked at, and it has some nice features. I chose the GT-1 because of cost, capability, volume/expression pedal. 

You can go either way. The modelling amps have similar capability, but they probably are not as deep as a Boss multi-effect. My Fender G-DEC 30 covers most effects, but you can only use 1 at a time with reverb. The Boss GT-1 allows tone stacking. Both give you plenty of options. It all comes down to interface and convenience. It is very convenient to have the effects built in.  No cables, power supplies, batteries, and pedal boards. I think the best multi-effect pedal will actually mimic the traditional pedal board like the Headrush and Helix pedals. 

Ideally, you buy the best amp you can afford. Effects can be added later. Multi-effect or pedals are always available.

I played my G-DEC for many years with just a little delay. I wanted to play clean as a beginner so I knew I was doing it right. The effects are kind of nasty if you don't know how to use them since each lends to a particular style. 

Have fun whichever way you choose. 

Gotto is spot on.  These days there are many paths to tonal nirvana.  

Tube amps are awesome but even a 5 watter sounds its best at volumes untenable for most of us at home (yet is not quite loud enough to gig).  My 18 watt Budda through a 212, will make ears bleed at full roar, and I have nothing but respect for guys that can stand in front of a 50 or 100 watt tube amp through a 412, but most venues today would make you turn down or throw you out.  If you can play loud at home and love tubes then they are awesome.  

Besides being able to dial in good sounds and any volume, modelers offer the advantage of offering an extensive amp and pedal collection.  That can be a distraction, but once you get your base tones figured out usually 3-5 setups for most of us, you can forget about the rest until you feel adventurous or want to create some specific tone for a song you are learning.

You can get great sounds out of a lower priced modeler as I learned from my POD HD500X.  It took a lot of time to study and tweak to get those sounds though.  I upgraded to the Helix mostly for the greatly simplified user interface and probably wouldn't have done that if I didn't see how quickly and easily my buddy was dialing in great tones on his Helix.  The higher end units aim to be more intuitive but there is still not a 100 percent correlation to a tube amp so there is quite a learning curve even with higher end units.

• Like 1

I have (2) 30 watt amps, one tube and one solid state, and neither one goes beyond 3. They are plenty loud for my use. Small amps are widely used by the pros too even in live settings.

I went through all 198 different settings on the GT-1 a couple time now. I had a lot of fun with it. I found a lot of useable tone.

One thing I found missing is the off switch. The unit never gets turned off. The solution is simple really. I will make my own custom top 10 settings. The first one will be clean with maybe some light delay and reverb. Then I will fill out the set with my favorites.

I have kept some notes of the last few years of possible pedal boards I might build. I think I will make a custom setting for each of these boards as recommended by the big boys. I will list it below so you can check it out for inspiration.

"We might tussle a bit over where a fuzz box or wah belongs in a signal chain, but we pretty much agree that after that it’s compression, dirt, modulation, delay, then reverb. It’s all very elementary." - Unknown

Pete Thorn

Overdrive

Delay

Distortion

Reverb

Pedal Order – Boss

Tuner

Overdrive ODX-1

Distortion DS-1

Flanger

Phase Shifter

Digital Delay DD-7

Steve Vai

Tuner

Volume Pedal

Use effects loop from amp

Chorus – splits to two amps for stereo

Delay to amp one

Delay to amp two

Wa

Distortion

Steve Krenz

Compressor

Overdrive

Distortion

Fuzz

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal - Tuner

Delay

Tremolo

Chorus

Amp

He also uses a Boss AD-5 Acoustic Guitar Processor

Joe Bonamassa

Fuzz Tone (Satisfaction)

Wah Wah (Don’t overuse)

Univibe

Tube Screamer

Echoplex

Plus

Tremolo

Flanger

MXR PHASE 100

MXR STEREO CHORUS

Fuzz Face

Cry Baby

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to copy anyone, your Bonamassa rig is very close to my analog pedal board.  

That signal path goes: Guitar>5 Loop Switcher>Loop 1, Cry Baby Mini and Fulltone 70's Fuzz (I use one or the other at not together)>Loop 2, Univibe >Loop 3, MXR DynaComp >Loop 4, Wampler Euphoria > Loop 5 Unused > Budda Superdrive 18 (Bonamassa apparently used Budda's for at least one tour).  

EDIT - I left out that the loop switcher also has an out for tuner pedal.  I have that routed to a Polytune. Definitely an important pedal.  That is the one thing about my analog board that is clearly superior to the Helix.  The tuner in the Helix is no where near as nice as a Polytune.  

In the Amp Effects loop the path is: Mooer Orange 90 (Clone of MXR EVH Phase 90)> MXR M234 Analog Chorus >TC Electronics Flasback Delay. The Flashback is a digital delay that gives you a bunch of delay types, and I highly recommend it for its versatility.

This makes a pretty versatile rig and you can replace any pedal in it with whatever flavor you like.  You can do without the loop switcher but it is a pretty slick pedal in that you leave all pedals on, and only insert the ones you are currently using into the signal path.  With all the loops off, the signal path is guitar straight to the amp so you are not running though 4-5 pedals to the amp.  

I typically run with the Loop 3 - DynaComp always on, and add other effects in and out of the path depending on the song. 

On the Helix, I use 3 rigs to cover our 3 sets. The virtual rigs are set up in the Helix to be pretty close to the analog rig.  They are based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb (maybe 80% of our material). a Marshall 1974X (most of the other 20%) and Marshall JCM800 (one or two songs).  I run the Helix in stomp mode because that is what I am used to but there is a Snapshot mode that may be better for someone willing to learn how to use it.

Edited by Six String
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 5:30 AM, Six String said:

I wasn't trying to copy anyone, your Bonamassa rig is very close to my analog pedal board.  

That signal path goes: Guitar>5 Loop Switcher>Loop 1, Cry Baby Mini and Fulltone 70's Fuzz (I use one or the other at not together)>Loop 2, Univibe >Loop 3, MXR DynaComp >Loop 4, Wampler Euphoria > Loop 5 Unused > Budda Superdrive 18 (Bonamassa apparently used Budda's for at least one tour).  

EDIT - I left out that the loop switcher also has an out for tuner pedal.  I have that routed to a Polytune. Definitely an important pedal.  That is the one thing about my analog board that is clearly superior to the Helix.  The tuner in the Helix is no where near as nice as a Polytune.  

In the Amp Effects loop the path is: Mooer Orange 90 (Clone of MXR EVH Phase 90)> MXR M234 Analog Chorus >TC Electronics Flasback Delay. The Flashback is a digital delay that gives you a bunch of delay types, and I highly recommend it for its versatility.

This makes a pretty versatile rig and you can replace any pedal in it with whatever flavor you like.  You can do without the loop switcher but it is a pretty slick pedal in that you leave all pedals on, and only insert the ones you are currently using into the signal path.  With all the loops off, the signal path is guitar straight to the amp so you are not running though 4-5 pedals to the amp.  

I typically run with the Loop 3 - DynaComp always on, and add other effects in and out of the path depending on the song. 

On the Helix, I use 3 rigs to cover our 3 sets. The virtual rigs are set up in the Helix to be pretty close to the analog rig.  They are based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb (maybe 80% of our material). a Marshall 1974X (most of the other 20%) and Marshall JCM800 (one or two songs).  I run the Helix in stomp mode because that is what I am used to but there is a Snapshot mode that may be better for someone willing to learn how to use it.

What are you using for your loop switcher, Six?

Greg

On 7/22/2019 at 12:11 PM, gotto said:

What are you using for your loop switcher, Six?

Greg

This is the one I have.

https://www.loop-master.com/looper-wtuner-strip-p-133.html