WHAT'S GOING ON THIS MONTH
  • This Month's Live Streaming Guitar Lessons: TUESDAY JULY 2ND - PLAYING BY EAR - HEARING CHORD CHANGES. One of the most important guitar skills is to hear chord changes and be able to play them by ear. With a little bit of training you can listen to songs and understand what chords are being played. TUESDAY JUL 16TH ITALIAN GUITARIST ALBERTO LOMBARDI. Alberto Lombardi is a versatile guitarist, has been put among the 8 new guitarists to watch in 2018 by Vintage Guitar Magazine, voted in the top 10 emerging guitarists in the world by Guitar Masters Poland in 2015, released instructional courses and records for Stefan Grossman, toured germany with Peter Finger e Tim Sparks, Played in the US, Belgium, Portugal, and has been a Taylor guitars artist for many years, player for the brand big events like NAMM show. Major guitar magazines featured Alberto's work, like Acoustic Guitar, Vintage Guitar Magazine, Fingerstyle Journal and more. Watch LIVE on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel. It's going to be a great month! Learn all you can!
Sign in to follow this  
matonanjin

Martin Custom Shop or Martin EC? Thoughts?

@papamark, shared a NGD post over in the News from the Gathering thread a few weeks ago, his new Martin Custom Shop.   A gorgeous guitar and I told him that I was looking at something very similar and I still am.  I had posted here about looking at a new PRS Santana but thought more about it and I am, for the present,  fairly well set on electrics (don't tell my wife this!) and realize that my most pressing need is for a nice acoustic.  So I am back to looking at that Martin 000 Custom shop.  Here it is front and back.  It is for sale at a local shop here in Omaha.

Martin Custom Shop

IMG_20190608_141107373.jpg.ea05c8022ebfe77682ba1a194bf1bcbb.jpg

But, I was looking at electics (PRS, of course) at the only PRS dealer here in town, actually across the river in Council Bluffs.  I know.  If I need an acoustic what am I doing looking at elecric guitars?  I can't help myself.  And saw this used Martin, a 000-18 EC.  A signature Eric Clapton.  A beautiful guitar as well and it plays beautifully.  They both do.  The used EC is about the same price as the new Custom Shop.  The EC is "pre-owned" but you wouldn't know it.  It is mint.

IMG_20190622_144549804_NoPrice.jpg.7a772f20f2b581c965a2f674c74c03e5.jpg

I am  torn.  I am a huge Clapton fan and the first to admit I am possibly swayed by the name factor.  But the couple reviews I've read about the guitar were glowing. 

And the burst, and especially the back, on the Custom Shop are so gorgeous!  Gawd, I'm torn!

So you Martin fans help me out!  What do you think?  I know I will be happy with either one.  If anything, maybe the EC is speaking to me ever so slightly more 😉  But is there anything I am missing in the decision process?

Posted (edited)

Tone, comfort  and playability are the most important considerations in buying an acoustic. As a woodworker, I am always attracted to the glories of the wood as well, but sometimes the least adorned are the best sounding. Even identical models can have tonal variances. I am less impressed with signature choices, though I too have lusted somewhat at times over a PRS Santana styles myself. Fortunately I too have plenty of electric options and can tame the the GAS beast in me....for the moment.

Greg

Edited by gotto

That is a tricky decision.

I am not a Martin owner or expert but I can offer you a really daft way to see if you have a real preference lurking in the back of your mind. Get two small pieces of paper and write the guitar model names, one on each piece, and then put the two bits of paper in a bag and randomly draw one out. Now tell yourself that you must buy the guitar on that bit of paper. If you are disappointed by the choice then but the other one. If not buy the one on the paper.

Of course if you really are on the fence it will not help 🤔

I have a PRS Santana really nice guitar. I also have two Martins, a D16RGT and an HD28 both excellent guitars but with a little difference between the two in tone and feel. I would recommend spending a little time playing them both, one will speak out to you which you prefer.

• Like 1

Agree with Mgood1

Have to agree with MGood1. Also, I'm seeing two different guitars in the custom shop front and back pics. One is a cutaway, the other isn't. 

• Like 1

Easy make a E chord and strum. One will be full and one will sound like it's in a box. The fullest one is it . Good Luck

19 hours ago, MGood1 said:

I have a PRS Santana really nice guitar. I also have two Martins, a D16RGT and an HD28 both excellent guitars but with a little difference between the two in tone and feel. I would recommend spending a little time playing them both, one will speak out to you which you prefer.

Thanks @MGood1.  (For responding both here and the other forum.  You know which one😉).  The Santana is on the "back burner" for now.  When (If?) I go back to electric shopping I think it is going to be between a PRS Special Semi-Hollowbody or a PRS McCarty 594.  I love the versatility , with the 3 pick-up system, of the SSH and love the tone of the 594.  But that is a completely different thread.

I am going to go back and play them both some more, if they're not sold, next week. Hopefully I can make a decision.

15 hours ago, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

Have to agree with MGood1. Also, I'm seeing two different guitars in the custom shop front and back pics. One is a cutaway, the other isn't. 

Great catch @Mike Hoodenpyle!  I need to go back and look at my photos and see what I did.🤔  There was also a Martin CEO that I somewhat considered.  Maybe one of these images is of that.

7 hours ago, Blue Dog said:

Easy make a E chord and strum. One will be full and one will sound like it's in a box. The fullest one is it . Good Luck

Going to do that next week

Don't forget to take your tuner. Good Luck

@matonanjin Every Martin Clapton model that I have played has sounded great. Also - I don't know much about Martins - are their signature models made in their custom shop? I do believe that they use better wood on all their signature models.

Good luck with these guitars Ron. Let us know what you decide to do!

• Like 1