WHAT'S GOING ON THIS MONTH
  • This Month's Live Streaming Guitar Lessons: TUESDAY JULY 2ND - PLAYING BY EAR - HEARING CHORD CHANGES. One of the most important guitar skills is to hear chord changes and be able to play them by ear. With a little bit of training you can listen to songs and understand what chords are being played. TUESDAY JUL 16TH ITALIAN GUITARIST ALBERTO LOMBARDI. Alberto Lombardi is a versatile guitarist, has been put among the 8 new guitarists to watch in 2018 by Vintage Guitar Magazine, voted in the top 10 emerging guitarists in the world by Guitar Masters Poland in 2015, released instructional courses and records for Stefan Grossman, toured germany with Peter Finger e Tim Sparks, Played in the US, Belgium, Portugal, and has been a Taylor guitars artist for many years, player for the brand big events like NAMM show. Major guitar magazines featured Alberto's work, like Acoustic Guitar, Vintage Guitar Magazine, Fingerstyle Journal and more. Watch LIVE on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel. It's going to be a great month! Learn all you can!
Yggdrasilium

How to practise while on vacation and away from your guitar

So here I am sunk deep down into my beach chair in Italy. The sun is roasting anything or anyone not smart enough to hide under a parasol or dip their bodies in the wonderful, cool sea. I'm one of the smart ones. 

So I know how lucky I am to be able to get away from the usual stress and the everyday bustle and shuffle. How come I'm missing playing my guitar while my toes are digging in the sand and the sound of washing waves fill my ears? 

I am trying to figure out what I can do to develop my skill and knowledge of music in times when I don't have an instrument at hand. 

I thought of bringing books along with me, but decided against it. They're too heavy and not practical to bring with me to the beach. 

One thing I have been using, and which has helped open my eyes, is the cell phone app called Justin Guitar Note Trainer. It shows you the first 12 frets of the guitar and asks you to identify the notes on the various frets and strings. I'm currently getting towards the end of session 4 of the Learn And Master Guitar course, so these types of exercises are very useful for me right now. 

I've had a few aha-moments too, and I've gotten a few glimpses of patterns and relationships between strings that I haven't seen before, and that the course hasn't taught me yet. 

So, what do you guys do to practise while travelling? Am I missing out on some cool apps or tools that could further my skills and knowledge of music and the guitar in particular? 

Yup I don't carry guitar (most of the time) on vacation. 

I'll be on a local beach for a couple of hours next day or two.

I print off Steve's major scales mix up and work on those at the beach

• Like 1

As Doug suggested, study theory if you don't have a guitar at hand.  @Yggdrasilium, I don't show enough dedication to doing this and need to do so more.

I am travelling regularly for work and manage to take my Traveller Guitar with me most of the times. It looks like a headless Steinberger, weighs only 1.4 Kg. and fits into a suitcase.

The laprest and arm support visible on the picture are own-made modifications that can be screwed on.

At this very moment I am on holidays in France with the family and play my Traveler Guitar almost daily 😀.

Wim.

IMG_1668.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Yup I don't carry guitar (most of the time) on vacation. 

I'll be on a local beach for a couple of hours next day or two.

I print off Steve's major scales mix up and work on those at the beach

Or Even a just piece of paper and a pencil to do this. Or nothing at all... just mentally say the scales in your head or out loud wotks too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wim VD1 said:

I am travelling regularly for work and manage to take my Traveller Guitar with me most of the times. It looks like a headless Steinberger, weighs only 1.4 Kg. and fits into a suitcase.

The laprest and arm support visible on the picture are own-made modifications that can be screwed on.

At this very moment I am on holidays in France with the family and play my Traveler Guitar almost daily 😀.

Wim.

IMG_1668.JPG

...Which is just one reasons why Wim has become such a good guitarist.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Or Even a just piece of paper and a pencil to do this. Or nothing at all... just mentally say the scales in your head or out loud wotks too.

probably saying them in your head or out loud is the best as you're not relying on the visual paper to guide.

I have brought guitars on some of my driven trips, and play occasionally, I'm pretty poor at time management while on vacation .

18 hours ago, Wim VD1 said:

Wim.

IMG_1668.JPG

So you have to carry along an amp with these Traveller guitars (maybe a Vox AmPlug or AmPhones ... and some headphones) to get some audible sound out of them?

43 minutes ago, NeilES335 said:

So you have to carry along an amp with these Traveller guitars (maybe a Vox AmPlug or AmPhones ... and some headphones) to get some audible sound out of them?

I use an iPhone or iPad with an adapter (iRig from IK Multimedia) and earphones If I want amplification. The sound is not great, but good enough for practice. I often practice without amplification.

Wim.

• Like 1