Hey,

If you missed the live lesson this week, here you go!

Learn all you can - Steve

Steve Krenz Steve Krenz
Sign in to follow this  
slimshaky

Getting Over The Hump

FYI, this is a repost from the old forum in case you see it there.

I've owned a guitar for around 20 years and have never gotten around to learning it to the level that I would like to. I believe that I purchased the Learn and Master material about 3 years ago. I have given it two tries and have gotten bogged down on lesson 8 (i think?) both times.  I can play the barre chords, but have never been able to get them to ring out clearly. I'm thinking about dusting off the guitar and giving it another try (it's been about a year). My ultimate goal is to get to a skill level where I can play a small public gig. Is there anyone out there that has achieved that level of skill and could give me some pointers on how to get from the point of a very modest skill level to getting more accomplished? I'm sure that more persistence would help. I don't know if maybe I need the help of a professional instructor to make more progress on the barre chord piece. Also, I have noticed other posts where folks mention about practicing on a single lesson for many months. I'm curious how people get past boredom in doing that and are able to press on until they've finally got a skill down.

Slimshaky that is a very good question and I think one that every beginner like me continually asks.  From my own experience I have to be happy with slow progress.  Sometimes I am completely discouraged until I look at how far I've come.  To combat boredom I use other resources to add to my studies.  I read and watch videos constantly to stay motivated.  But there are times when I just think I suck.  Read stuff that Steve says about perseverance.  This helps me a lot. Beware you can get caught up in the paralysis of analysis.   Meaning you have to do it.  You have to play.  A lot.  Good luck to you and stick with it. You will get better with concentrated and regular practice.  I am going to start recording myself practicing to see progress and pinpoint weaknesses.  I've heard this helps.  I should have started doing this at the beginning.

Edited by rkl312

There no one answer to that Question ,  You gave up. When you got to barre chords. you get the fingering down work on the 15 minutes a day . if they don't ring clear you find out why and correct the problem . some times it's the guitar not set up right , it finger placement deading the strings, low frets takes more hand pressure .You have to figure out why and correct. and don't let it get you down . work on other stuff. and move on  they will come in time. There is so much stuff yet to learn . Good Luck

Hey, Slim.  Glad you made it over here.  I told you that you would get more intelligent answers here than mine over there!B|   I'm sure you'll get more yet.

good luck to you.

Slimshaky - We have similar histories - I purchased a guitar in college and intended to learn to play for years (actually - decades). I would find some basic instruction and then give up after a few weeks or months. Then about four years ago, I found the Learn and Master course. When I got to the level where you are currently at (or where you stopped), I decided I needed more immediate feedback and direction - so I began to take private lessons. The private lessons have really helped me focus and 'get over the hump'.

Best wishes on your guitar journey.

Edited by Dave White

Slimshaky, my way to avoid boredom is to combine the theory and exercises part with learning songs.

I agree with all of the excellent advice that has been given on this thread so far.

I think that there is no problem with working on the next lesson in addition to practicing/polishing your barre chords. Do some barre chords every day, learn something new every day and work on a song. Join in with the monthly recording challenge in this forum, there  are plenty of songs you can play with open chords until your barres sound right. Recording stuff and sharing it is a great motivator. You could also devise your own chord progressions and songs and transpose them into different keys, it is a great way to use your music theory.

I remember getting frustrated about how terrible my barres sounded. One day I decided that I no longer cared about how they sounded, I was just going to do them for a short time every day and concentrate on my finger placement. I also bought a the Hal Leonard Barre chords method book. It really was a good supplement for me. I also did all of the things I mentioned above. Now I can not imagine my life without guitar. It would B flat!😁🎸

Edited by Nutty1
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your replies. I think the next time that I get stuck I will check back here for encouragement and also see if an instructor can help. I also like the idea of potentially have other simultaneous guitar based goals that I am working on if I get bogged down on the course. The monthly contest looks intriguing, so perhaps I will try to contribute to that at some point.

• Like 1

The members advice and encouragement has carried me forward for three years.  But, if you hit a plateau and you can't seem to work through it; buy a new guitar.  Guaranteed to improve/stimulate your playing.

• Like 1

I more or less go with the lessons as scheduled. Another words keep going forward, and then continue to go back and get more of the previous lessons under my fingers and keep improving on them. Always challenging and always satisfying. And learning some tunes along the way to supplement L&M. One year learning and I'm encouraged. At Lesson 13 working on blues. The course works. Keep jamming. TonyB|

• Like 2

I am in the same boat been back 5 days and can't get past the Finger exercises ... but now I have time to practice ,,, I try to do 30 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evenings... How is it going for you ... 

Lots of good advice here. The keys are patience, persistence and persverence (you'll hear that a lot around here). Everyone learns and develops skills at different rates, your rate is just fine. Keep at it, and don't give up but also don't pressure yourself or get down about it. We all go through periods where it seems impossible or we hit a mighty plateau but we usually come through it. I struggled with lesson 1, and barre chords and loads of other stuff. I still struggle with the things I'm working on, but that other stuff seems far less impossible now.

I'd suggest that if you think you know what you should be doing and the finger dexterity, speed etc is just not there yet then move on and have some fun learning something else but keep dropping back and having another go at the thing you were struggling with. It's amazing how the skill develops almost un-noticed with time that way. The worst thing you can do is obsess over one thing you can't do, get frustrated and then give up.

I'd much rather be a mediocre player that is still developing than someone who doesn't play because they bailed out.

Keep going guys, you'll get there!

Ian

• Like 4