Jump to content
WHAT'S GOING ON THIS MONTH
  • This Month's Live Streaming Guitar Lessons: TUESDAY JULY 2ND - PLAYING BY EAR - HEARING CHORD CHANGES. One of the most important guitar skills is to hear chord changes and be able to play them by ear. With a little bit of training you can listen to songs and understand what chords are being played. TUESDAY JUL 16TH ITALIAN GUITARIST ALBERTO LOMBARDI. Alberto Lombardi is a versatile guitarist, has been put among the 8 new guitarists to watch in 2018 by Vintage Guitar Magazine, voted in the top 10 emerging guitarists in the world by Guitar Masters Poland in 2015, released instructional courses and records for Stefan Grossman, toured germany with Peter Finger e Tim Sparks, Played in the US, Belgium, Portugal, and has been a Taylor guitars artist for many years, player for the brand big events like NAMM show. Major guitar magazines featured Alberto's work, like Acoustic Guitar, Vintage Guitar Magazine, Fingerstyle Journal and more. Watch LIVE on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel. It's going to be a great month! Learn all you can!
Nutty 1

🎸Monthly Recording Challenge 69 - Songs of the 60s

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello Everyone, in the absence of Unclehammy and @guitarben I am posting the new challenge. Just for quickness, as we have already lost over a week  I have chosen the theme.

Play anything that originates from the 1960s.

The deadline is Midnight Sunday 30th June.

Here are the tracks:

1) mark_h playing "Wave" by Antonio Carlos Jobim.

 

2) Wim VD1 playing "Leyla"

3) Nutty 1 playing "Nights in White Satin"

 

 

4) Watson43 playing "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"

5)Texaspackerfan playing "Mamma Tried"

 

Edited by Nutty 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for keeping things Mandy!

I didn’t want to do anything too  obvious so it’s a little obscure,; the title track from “Wave” by Antonio Carlos Jobim.

This is one of the most difficult pieces for me to play, my timing is never right and I almost always stumble, but I play it anyway, every chance I get. One of these days I’ll get it right. (Or maybe not.) 🤗

Mark

 

Edited by mark_h
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mark_h said:

This is one of the most difficult pieces for me to play, my timing is never right and I almost always stumble, but I play it anyway, every chance I get. One of these days I’ll get it right. (Or maybe not.) 🤗

Absolutely beautiful Mark, as always you have the right touch, it sounds great to me.👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Layla was originally recorded in 1970, but I guess the love of Eric Clapton for Pattie Boyd that inspired this song originates from the 1960's, so it still fits the challenge 😀.

Wim.

 

Edited by Wim VD1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely @Wim VD1, beautifully played. I enjoyed that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is my entry "Nights in White Satin" by Justin Haywood, performed by The Moody Blues.

It is a tale of posh bed sheets, wasted stationary and a love that is lost causing pain which no one understands.

You know like when you get that sinking feeling .......I had a bit of a microphone problem during this song.  Looks like I can not have the boom arm out too much on my mic stand.🤣🤓😂

 

Edited by Nutty 1
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nutty 1 said:

Here is my entry "Nights in White Satin" by Justin Haywood, performed by The Moody Blues.

It is a tale of posh bed sheets, wasted stationary and a love that is lost causing pain which no one understands.

You know like when you get that sinking feeling .......I had a bit of a microphone problem during this song.  Looks like I can not have the boom arm out too much on my mic stand.🤣🤓😂

 

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🎶🎶 great job Mandy! The mic problem didn’t effect the recording so not to worry. Great choice of song too. 👍👍👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mark_h said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🎶🎶 great job Mandy! The mic problem didn’t effect the recording so not to worry. Great choice of song too. 👍👍👍

Thank you Mark.

I love that song. I have just bought The Moody Blues 3 cd box set. I am re-discovering them!😎

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 2:47 PM, Nutty 1 said:

Here is my entry "Nights in White Satin" by Justin Haywood, performed by The Moody Blues.

It is a tale of posh bed sheets, wasted stationary and a love that is lost causing pain which no one understands.

You know like when you get that sinking feeling .......I had a bit of a microphone problem during this song.  Looks like I can not have the boom arm out too much on my mic stand.🤣🤓😂

 

Well done, Mandy. I found a nice story on the internet about this song being written as part of a musical.

The sinking mic was actually quite funny to watch.

Wim.

Edited by Wim VD1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mark_h, sounded fabulous to me. Beautifully played as always.

@Wim VD1, I love the way you find tenuous relationships between the theme and the song 😁. I remain impressed with the progress you are making, great job.

Well done @Nutty 1, you have a lovely tone to your voice.

Ian

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wim VD1 said:

Well done, Mandy. I found a nice story on the internet about this song being written as part of a musical.

The sinking mic was actually quite funny to watch.

Wim.

Thank you @Wim VD1.

The sinking mic did add a certain novelty factor. I think you can see when I started to realise what was happening!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IanD said:

Well done @Nutty 1, you have a lovely tone to your voice.

Thank you Ian, you are very kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, IanD said:

@mark_h, sounded fabulous to me. Beautifully played as always.

@Wim VD1, I love the way you find tenuous relationships between the theme and the song 😁. I remain impressed with the progress you are making, great job.

Well done @Nutty 1, you have a lovely tone to your voice.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I was already working on Layla when @Nutty 1 announced the new challenge. So it was either stretching the theme a bit in some creative way or working out another song. I hesitated on doing "Wild Horses" from the Stones, but decided to stick to Clapton. I will try to tame those horses at a later point in time.

Wim.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wim VD1 said:

Thanks Ian.

I was already working on Layla when @Nutty 1 announced the new challenge. So it was either stretching the theme a bit in some creative way or working out another song. I hesitated on doing "Wild Horses" from the Stones, but decided to stick to Clapton. I will try to tame those horses at a later point in time.

Wim.

I’d love to hear you do Wild Horses some day, that’s a great song.

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a hit for the Shirelles in 1960, but I did it in the style of Carol King (who co-wrote the song).

Please enjoy.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WATSON43 said:

This was a hit for the Shirelles in 1960, but I did it in the style of Carol King (who co-wrote the song).

Please enjoy.

 

Very well played, Kevin. I like the singing in  harmony as well.

Wim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent @WATSON43, beautifully played and sang. I love that song, they used it in the movie "Dirty Dancing".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb @WATSON43, well done!

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Wim VD1, @Nutty 1 and @IanD.

Mandy, it's been so long since I saw "Dirty Dancing" I didn't realize it featured this song.  Thanks for the reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!! Danny, that’s fantastic - I love it! I actually like everything about it, it’s a great song that I’ve never heard before and I love your arrangement, playing and singing. Great job!

Just one minor suggestion - I’d like to hear your vocal a little louder in the mix.

Ian

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IanD said:

Wow!! Danny, that’s fantastic - I love it! I actually like everything about it, it’s a great song that I’ve never heard before and I love your arrangement, playing and singing. Great job!

Just one minor suggestion - I’d like to hear your vocal a little louder in the mix.

Ian

lol! I know, I'm still shy @IanD

my vocals are not my strong point.

Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Texaspackerfan your vocals are great, i’ll bet that most people would be very happy if they could sing like you!

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow @Texaspackerfan that is impressive! Well played and sang.

I agree with Ian, you have an excellent voice and it would do well if it was louder in your mix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2019 at 9:51 PM, Texaspackerfan said:

Howdy folks!  This is my entry for this months challenge.

https://soundcloud.com/user-68395726-548056557/mama-tried

Another great one, Danny. I listened to it several times and looked up the original song as well. Maybe hard to believe, but I never heard of Merle Haggard before. I think I need to expand my knowledge of country music beyond Johnny Cash and Ryan Adams.

Well done!

Wim.

 

Edited by Wim VD1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More

About us

Guitar Gathering is a community of guitar lovers of all types and skill levels.  This is a place of learning, support and encouragement.  We are unapologetically positive.

If you've come here to gripe, demean others or talk politics then this isn't the place for you.

But if you've come to talk guitars, ask questions and learn from professionals and guitar learners from all over the world then come on in!

Get in touch

Follow us

facebook feed

Recent tweets

×
×
  • Create New...