• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Windows

I bought a Gibson SG '61 (2019)  from a company that prides itself on customer service and thorough setups and inspections before they ship it to you. When received it I did all of the things you do to get it acclimated to my local temp (it was shipped from the Midwest and I live in Charlotte NC). In fact I waited a pain-staking 2 days before opening the case.

As I've been playing it I notice that the neck seems to be more pliable that my other guitars,.  Meaning if I put pressure on the neck while playing I can tell the strings are bending like a whammy bar would (no where as much as a normal vibrato system but enough for me to notice). I don't try to crush the neck or anything I just apply pressure like I would my other guitars. The neck is not loose or anything and I notice this if I play a little aggressive.

Since the GS is so light weight, is this just a factor of the design or is there a problem that I need to address?

Looking forward to GG 2019!

Dale

• Member ID:  17
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  3

I have read that SG's are known for a slightly flexible neck, which some performers (like Pete Townshend) use to their advantage.  Just do a search on line and you will see what I mean.  If you don't like that feature or the neck dive they are prone to I would send it back, but some people love them.  Since you are going to the garthering next week, bring it and ask Greg Voros what he thinks.  He is really good and has set up everything I have.  See you next week.  GH

• Member ID:  121
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks GH!

That make sense. Greg does a great job. I brought my acoustic last year and after he cleaned off the 'fried chicken grease' (his comment) it plays like a brand new guitar that's set up perfectly.

I'm so looking forward to next week! Heading out tomorrow.

Dale

• Like 1