• Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  210
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

LiveLessonLogoDark.thumb.png.44bb68c9a6d0a32101f2b8d178629635.png

When?
Live Lessons are held on Tuesday evenings, approximately every other week, at 7:00 pm Central Time (UTC-5). Fifteen minutes before broadcast a countdown screen will appear and the chat will be available. When they go on the air you will see the live broadcast. It will run about an hour. When they are off the air you can view previous Live Lessons.

Where? 
You can watch on the Guitar Gathering YouTube channel here or by clicking the header at the top of this discussion forum. Steve officially transitioned to YouTube from Ustream on February 6, 2018.

Is the topic announced in advance?
Steve usually will post a thread in advance letting us know the topic of the upcoming lesson, posting any necessary resources (sheet music, audio tracks, links, videos) or if it will be cancelled or rescheduled.  

Do they cost anything?
No. Live Lessons are free.  

How do I ask a question or chat with other students?
Anyone can view the Live Lesson. If you wish to chat with Steve, the guests, or other students, or have a chance to win the various items in giveaways, you must register for a free Google account. You can register for a Google account here. Once you have registered, you can log in and participate. To help distinguish questions directed to Steve or his guests from the online chat, type your question in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

Which browser works best?
That's difficult to say. Experiment with various browsers to find which works best for you. 

How do I watch past Live Lessons?

You can view the most recent Live Lessons (2015 to present) at the same site as the live broadcast.

How can I sign up for the giveaways?
Each lesson usually has a few giveaways. These range from helpful books, CDs from guests, apparel, pedals, and (rarely) even guitars. Giveaway winners are selected at random from those logged in during the Live Lesson. You don't need to chat, but you do need to be logged in through Google/YouTube as described above.

I won a giveaway! What do I do now?
Congratulations! You need to e-mail Steve at Service[at]GuitarGathering.com. Include your mailing address, YouTube screen name, what you won, and size when necessary. Giveaways are usually mailed out within a few days after the broadcast. Shipping times vary depending on where you live. Some items can not be shipped outside the continental US. Items that aren't claimed will be awarded to someone else.

What is YouTube SuperChat?
For our purposes, it is a way viewers can donate to support Live Lessons and the discussion board. More broadly, it is a mechanism for YouTube viewers to pay for greater attention, as their comments are pinned and highlighted at the top of the live chat and more characters are permitted. It is accessed by the $ icon below the chat window. It has been reported that YouTube retains 30% of the donation. An alternative, direct way to support Guitar Gathering is via this PayPal link.

How do I suggest a topic or guest?
Just start a thread in this Live Lesson section of this discussion board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

On 1/4/2018 at 10:24 PM, DianeB said:

LiveLessonLogoDark.thumb.png.44bb68c9a6d0a32101f2b8d178629635.png

When?
Live Lessons are held on Tuesday evenings, approximately every other week, at 7:00 pm Central Time (UTC-5). Fifteen minutes before broadcast a countdown screen will appear and the chat will be available. When they go on the air you will see the live broadcast. It will run about an hour. When they are off the air you can view previous Live Lessons.

Where? 
You can watch on the Guitar Gathering YouTube channel here or by clicking the header at the top of this discussion forum. Steve officially transitioned to YouTube from Ustream on February 6, 2018.

Is the topic announced in advance?
Steve usually will post a thread in advance letting us know the topic of the upcoming lesson, posting any necessary resources (sheet music, audio tracks, links, videos) or if it will be cancelled or rescheduled.  

Do they cost anything?
No. Live Lessons are free.  

How do I ask a question or chat with other students?
Anyone can view the Live Lesson. If you wish to chat with Steve, the guests, or other students, or have a chance to win the various items in giveaways, you must register for a free Google account. You can register for a Google account here. Once you have registered, you can log in and participate. To help distinguish questions directed to Steve or his guests from the online chat, type your question in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

Which browser works best?
That's difficult to say. Experiment with various browsers to find which works best for you. 

How do I watch past Live Lessons?

You can view the most recent Live Lessons at the same site as the live broadcast. Older (pre-2018) Live Lessons are on the old Ustream site.

How can I sign up for the giveaways?
Each lesson usually has a few giveaways. These range from helpful books, CDs from guests, apparel, pedals, and (rarely) even guitars. Giveaway winners are selected at random from those logged in during the Live Lesson. You don't need to chat, but you do need to be logged in through Google/YouTube as described above.

I won a giveaway! What do I do now?
Congratulations! You need to e-mail Steve at Service[at]MightyOakMusic.com. Include your mailing address, YouTube screen name, what you won, and size when necessary. Giveaways are usually mailed out within a few days after the broadcast. Shipping times vary depending on where you live. Some items can not be shipped outside the continental US. Items that aren't claimed will be awarded to someone else. 

How do I suggest a topic or guest?
Just start a thread in this Live Lesson section of this discussion board.

Some members have asked about posting a schedule for Live Lessons.

A good question. Unfortunately due to the various commitments that Steve has, and the availability of facilities and guests, the posting of a schedule is not really practical.  I wish we could. Even as co-moderator of this site and the Live Lessons on-line, I often don''t know for sure until the day before, and sometimes the day of. 

So, best to stay tuned, and check back often, better yet, subscribe to the Guitar Gathering Twitter feed or Facebook. Steve often posts there first. 

"See"you on the next Live Lesson.  (you can use the link at the top of this webpage)

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

HOW TO CREATE AND "ALIAS" ACCOUNT ON YOUTUBE TO PARTICIPATE IN LIVE LESSONS:      (Submitted courtesy of @guitarben )

Many people were wondering about using a different name on Youtube. The display name on Youtube is your channel name. By default, that is your gmail adress. You can create different channels with the same email so that you can switch between them without logging out. Here is how Youtube recommends to do it:

1- Click on your profile picture in the top right corner:

5a8402b2591c4_Capturedcran2018-02-1404_32_32.thumb.png.fffdf474edf117ca8844786590598a54.png

2- Click on Settings:

5a8403956cddc_Capturedcran2018-02-1404_37_32.png.b7da6bb615f602f880a937cdced091d6.png

3- Click on See all my channels or create a new channel:

5a840446655e7_Capturedcran2018-02-1404_39_03.png.a5a4b39542abf3a2af3802cdacd011b7.png

4- Click on Create new channel:

5a8405107539f_Capturedcran2018-02-1404_42_28.png.4ebefeea2678d13e653e4d9696defe1f.png

Fill up the info for your new channel (aka Brand Name) and that's it!

Once you are login in with your usual Google account, you can switch between names by clicking on your profile picture, then select Switch account:

5a840666419e3_Capturedcran2018-02-1404_48_22.png.8c9da7fcd901c7d43955e0ed550be153.png

Youtube's video recommendations work with the channel's viewing history and preferences, so having different names also allows you to keep your guitar videos and your cat videos separate.