• Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/22/1990
  • Device:  Windows

Hello everyone!  this is my first post here
My name is Mustafa (28 years old ) and I am a new member here. i will tell you my story and i hope i can find a solution to my problem
I started learning guitar 10 years ago in private lessons with my teacher. I love guitar so much and i used to practice many hours a day. the bad situation in Iraq forced me to leave my friends and my country and coming  to Turkey.In Turkey it is not legal for me to leave the tiny town that i live in , it is not a kind of punishment , it is just the rules and i have been living like that for almost 5 years.I always feel deep loneliness here but i know that i am strong and i can overcome it. The big problem is that after these years i began to lose motivation and interest in playing guitar. . I always practiced and had the idea that my teacher will be proud of me someday.I lost the contact with my teacher almost 3 years ago and this made my loneliness deeper.Two months ago i received news that the wife and the daughter of my teacher passed away in an accident . Now i can not even pick the guitar and i feel it is a waste of time, i feel that instead of spending hours practicing i should do something useful to other people.i am out of motivation and sometimes i feel that it is immoral to waste time practicing guitar for hours.I think that  many people here are old and wise and i am sure that some people had obstacles in their life , i am looking forward to hear how did you manage it ..... Thank you in advance

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

@Mustafa ; Welcome to the Guitar Gathering family!

You certainly have had your challenges. As far as guitar is concerned, all of us have had times of great improvement, and  other times when we feel discouraged or unmotivated to study and play. Losing your teacher,  it's understandable. I recocommend a self study program by our group leader and teacher Steve Krenz; "Learn & Master Guitar".Its available through the store on this website. Seek out the company of other guitar students. Play and practice with them. Participate in this community where there is a wealth of experience and knowledge all for the asking.  Listen to great guitarists that you love to hear. Remember the great feeling you have inside when you're playing. Set side a time every day to practice, and do it whether you feel like it or not. Your motivation will return and you will improve and enjoy it again!

All the best! Neil

• Like 5

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@Mustafa, may I add my welcome to the Guitar Gathering family! My friend Neil has offered wise advice. Yes, you are in a challenging situation at the moment, and my heart goes out to you. Life can pull us in different directions at once. You wrote: “Now I can not even pick the guitar and I feel it is a waste of time, I feel that instead of spending hours practicing I should do something useful to other people. I am out of motivation and sometimes I feel that it is immoral to waste time practicing guitar for hours.” Congratulations, you have the courage to admit what many of us, myself included — even accomplished musicians! — have felt at times.

It’s what you wrote at the beginning that matters: “I love guitar so much and I used to practice many hours a day.” Now, let’s get rid of that useless “used to” and we have:  “I love guitar so much.”

Here’s where I concede my space to author Richard Pressman (The War of Art). I've never seen it expressed any better:

“Creative work is not a selfish act or a bid for attention on the part of the actor. It’s a gift to the world and every being in it. Don’t cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you’ve got.”

• Like 6

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

@Mustafa I am so very sorry to hear of the trouble and pain in your life. I can not even imagine what you are going through. I will add my advice to the already excellent advice given by Neil and Diane above.

Music can heal people. It can bring joy to others as well as yourself. You should play your guitar again and seek out other musicians who live close to you and play your guitar with them. Maybe even form a group. People need your music. You need it too. It will help you. It might even show you the way.

Additionally your music teacher cared about you and wanted you to play the guitar so you should continue playing in the memory of your teacher. You are your teacher's  legacy!

Keep in touch with us Mustafa, music unites us all.

Best wishes

Mandy

Edited by Nutty 1
  • Like 4

• Member ID:  1,765
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00

@NeilES335 @DianeB @Nutty 1      Thank you so much for your comments and your encouragement. It is hard for me to find friends here in my small city but Thank God we have internet and i can communicate with nice people  like you. i will keep going and i will keep in touch here in this wonderful  group. thank you again  
♥️♥️

• Like 3

@Mustafa I use the guitar as therapy. Whenever I am angry or feeling rebellious or frustrated I play music that suits my mood like "Born to be Wild" or if I am sad I play a sad song. It helps and afterwards I feel better. Have you ever heard a song by Billy Joel called "Baby Grand" it is about how his piano is always there for him. I think guitar is like that. Perhaps we should write a song about guitar like that.🙂

• Like 1

@Nutty 1 Thank you for you commit . You know that guitar helped me so much in the difficult time. when i play the guitar , even when i do not play music i mean just practicing some techniques i forget about my problem and about the time. I just heard Billy Joel's song "baby grand" it is beautiful song. Thank you

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957

@Mustafa,   If you are not familiar with it, you might also listen to the song "This Old Guitar" by John Denver.    I think it expresses some of the sentiments others have expressed here.     I expect most everyone that has ever touched an instrument has felt  periods of contentment along with extreme frustration.   But I guess that is what makes it so rewarding.    I "played with" a guitar during my school years, but never really learned to play it.    I grew tired of it and lost interest.   Now, many (many) years later, I have decided to truly learn how to play.     Sometimes I feel I've waited too long to start.     But I've been encouraged by many on this forum and I hope you will be as well.    

• Like 3

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979

Mustafa, I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I cannot imagine how much sadness there must be around those things. 

Guitar is like therapy for many of us. We use it as a way to get our emotions out and to deal with pain and sadness, as well as happiness and good times in life.

You could see learning the guitar as a way to help yourself, and a way to honor those people whom you have lost - they are your motivation to become a good player. You can then use music to spread happiness to all those around you. Everyone will stop and listen to the guitar or suggest songs you can learn and they can sing along - or you can write your own. 

I encourage you to continue playing and to become the best player you can! Many great artists have seen bad things happen in life, but they used this as fuel to make them great. 

Please continue coming back here and updating us on your progress!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@William Nelson Thank you for your comment. İ listened to  "This Old Guitar" by John Denver and it is a touching song.Glad to know that you started learning guitar after all these years. keep on please

• Like 1

@colder Thank you so much  for your comment. life is difficult man. İ have changed my style of playing and that gave me a bit of energy. İnstead of practicing difficult flamenco pieces i began to play some pop songs that i love and used to listen in my adolescence with my best friend. now i can play 1 hour daily and having little fun and that is good.İ hope someday i can     play  music to my mother and father. Thank you again

• Like 2

It is great to see you posting again @Mustafa and to hear the good news that you are playing your guitar and having some fun. Never give up hope my friend.

• Like 1

@Nutty 1 Thank you so much ❤️

• Like 1

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979

Glad you came back to the forum Mustafa, keep us updated on your guitar journey!

• Like 1