• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

What's not to love?  Like all PRS guitars it's gorgeous and sounds great.  I suspect it is wonderfully playable and that the craftsmanship is excellent.  Even the SE guitars from PRS are amazing as I understand.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  72
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  3

Very nice.. thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  56
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  9
  • Device:  Macintosh

Love the top on that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,140
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Nice looking guitar and sounds good but didn’t care for the cons regarding the nut and tuners....finally looking for my first serious electric guitar and as usual too many choices.....been looking at epiphone lp custom pro which also appears to play well for the price.... imagine best way is to plug them in and play 🎸 any comments welcomed 🎼

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

On 5/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, ChrisJ032 said:

...finally looking for my first serious electric guitar and as usual too many choices.....been looking at epiphone lp custom pro which also appears to play well for the price.... imagine best way is to plug them in and play 🎸 any comments welcomed 🎼

I really think that at the price point of the PRS SE line, there will always be compromise. Be it Epiphone, PRS SE, The Player Series Fenders, there will be things to love about them, and things, well...not so much.

For me, the most important aspect of any electric guitar is the way the neck feels in my hands. Then, how the body is weighted. If I get past those two things, the rest is gravy and at a certain point, I also like to mod my guitars.

Case in point. Last year, I went looking for a Telecaster. I had $1500 in hand to buy whatever I could find off the shelf, new or used. I had to be able to try it. My heart was set on the Richie Kotzen Telecaster, but I have little hands and the neck on that guitar is HUGE. As soon as I picked it up and tried to play it, I knew it was a no go. For the next couple of months, I tried probably 2 dozen Telecasters. I kept coming back to one of the less expensive Player Series Telecasters, and brought it home. I love it. Amazing feel on the neck and it feels like it was built for me. I have since replaced the tuners and pickguard and have a new set of pickups to install, and still came way under budget. Review and mods on my YouTube channel if you want to take a look.

Best advice is decide on a budget, and then try every thing out there within that budget. You'd be surprised.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184

Great advice, @Old Guy.  As I have declared on here many times, I am a huge Santana fan.  I have also become a huge PRS supporter.  So it shouldn't take a great deal of logic to reason what my next guitar will be.  The only question that should remain is why I haven't added a PRS Santana to my stable yet.  (I don't have an answer for that).

But earlier this year I was in Chicago.  And, in addition to spoiling grand kids, part of my mission while there was to shop for a PRS Santana.  I had a week there and visited just about every guitar store in the city.  I knew ahead of time there was only one PRS Santana in the entire huge city of Chicago.  But it was fun shopping and I reserved the last part of my trip to Chicago Music Exchange that had it listed on their website.  I I knew I wouldn't be purchasing it.  You are familiar with PRS and so understand the product line.  It was a PRS "Private Stock" Santana so way over my budget!  But I could play it and then wait for a "core" Santana to come in.  Or have my local store order one. 

So the second to the last day I went to CME.  And I tried it.  And I was devastated.  Just like you described the neck of the Richie Kotzen Telecaster, the neck was huge.  The neck on the Santana felt like a tree trunk!  Not that I would have bought that particular guitar anyway.  But again, like you and the Richie Kotzen Telecaster, my heart was set on a PRS Santana.  But I have now come to accept that's not going to happen.

• Like 2

thanks for the feedback and insight and will keep an open mind....guess it’s time to start trying out some guitars 🎸 this should be fun 🎼 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again, maybe to assist in my selection which guitars would you feel have a relatively small neck for folks with small hands or less dexterity? Thanks again for any comments! 🎸🎼

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

Nice review Old Guy. Thanks again for more neat info. I happen to have bought this SE Custom 24 model in spalted maple during the recent Sweetwater blowout. I love the thing! It sounds great, plays smoothly and the resonance is amazing. The body sings strongly! The neck feels smooth and easy. I am still in beginner land, but the sound and quality of this guitar were obvious the minute I held it and started playing. Mine was made in Indonesia. It stays in tune fine, but I'm not using the tremelo yet other than "Oh yeah, it has a tremelo," and trying it when I first got it. I got it for a hair over 300 dollars (Thanks Adam!!!). The only issue was a loose input jack. I screw it in whenever it loosens (my Modified '51 Squire had the same issue), but I need take the jack loose and tighten it internally.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184

On 6/14/2019 at 1:30 PM, ChrisJ032 said:

Hi again, maybe to assist in my selection which guitars would you feel have a relatively small neck for folks with small hands or less dexterity? Thanks again for any comments! 🎸🎼

The only way is too try them.  since this thread was about the PRS SE here are the different dimensions for PRS necks.  But you had mentioned Epiphone LP.  Maybe they have something similar? 

@Dan Brown has an Epiphone LP.  Hopefully he will chime in.

Let us know about your shopping experiences.

• Like 1