• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Greg,

I have been experimenting on size of the strings I use on my 2015 Gibson ES-335/390.  Sweetwater who i purchased it from set it up with "9's" made by D'Addario nickel wound XL.  I really have wanted to check with a pro like yourself before I screw something up.  I have wanted to use 10's to see if it would stop unwanted excessive vibration.  I have found that the 10's have not helped any at all.  Should I have a technician to possibly open up the nut espescially the E2 string to eliminate excessive vibration. 

Would you reccommend just changing manufacturers all together?  Your expertise is greatly appreciated Greg.  Thank you sir,

SRV

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  149
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@SRV I see Greg hasn't checked the forum since Sept 2019,, so over a year and a half ago, you might not get a quick answer.

What kind of excessive vibration are you talking about, after all this is a semi-hollow guitar, you'll hear a lot more going on

• Member ID:  2,631
  • Followers:  0

2 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

@SRV I see Greg hasn't checked the forum since Sept 2019,, so over a year and a half ago, you might not get a quick answer.

What kind of excessive vibration are you talking about, after all this is a semi-hollow guitar, you'll hear a lot more going on

Eracer, thanks for eyeing that for me.  The E2 just seems to have to much play in it.  Its hard to explain.  I appreciate your help that was very kind of you sir!

SRV

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

On 2/15/2021 at 12:19 AM, SRV said:

Hi Greg,

I have been experimenting on size of the strings I use on my 2015 Gibson ES-335/390.  Sweetwater who i purchased it from set it up with "9's" made by D'Addario nickel wound XL.  I really have wanted to check with a pro like yourself before I screw something up.  I have wanted to use 10's to see if it would stop unwanted excessive vibration.  I have found that the 10's have not helped any at all.  Should I have a technician to possibly open up the nut espescially the E2 string to eliminate excessive vibration. 

Would you reccommend just changing manufacturers all together?  Your expertise is greatly appreciated Greg.  Thank you sir,

@SRV As DougH says, I wouldn't count on a reply from Greg...

You're supposed to feel some "vibration" in a semi-hollow guitar like the ES 335 or ES 390! 

It's called "resonance" . It's what makes these guitars what they are, vs. a solid slab of wood in a solid body guitar like a Strat or Les Paul.  (the good ones have a bit of this, but not much)

The warmer "woody" tone what they are known for. Unless of course you're talking about string buzz or a loose part somewhere... That would be possibly a neck or string height adjustment.

For Strings; It's much a question of taste, the sound and playability you're after. "9's" are very light... easy on the fingers and easy to bend, but also will likely go out of tune or be bent out of tune easily when you play chords.

So, I gather, if you mean "E2" is the High E string, a "9" will bend very easily; what you call "excessive play" ... 

There are very few occasions where a 'opening up the nut" is required. Leave it alone. Unless it's a cheap guitar, or somebody monkeyed with it, most come from the factory the way they should be.

Moving up slightly to " 10's" should not cause any set up issues. They will still be very playable, and offer better tone on your ES 335 or ES 390 (or any similar semi-hollow guitar) 

For Brands; I like D'Addario, or Gibson strings on these guitars. Not the coated ones... but again, it's a personal choice.

Cheers; Neil

• Member ID:  2,631
  • Followers:  0

On 2/16/2021 at 10:14 AM, NeilES335 said:

@SRV As DougH says, I wouldn't count on a reply from Greg...

You're supposed to feel some "vibration" in a semi-hollow guitar like the ES 335 or ES 390! 

It's called "resonance" . It's what makes these guitars what they are, vs. a solid slab of wood in a solid body guitar like a Strat or Les Paul.  (the good ones have a bit of this, but not much)

The warmer "woody" tone what they are known for. Unless of course you're talking about string buzz or a loose part somewhere... That would be possibly a neck or string height adjustment.

For Strings; It's much a question of taste, the sound and playability you're after. "9's" are very light... easy on the fingers and easy to bend, but also will likely go out of tune or be bent out of tune easily when you play chords.

So, I gather, if you mean "E2" is the High E string, a "9" will bend very easily; what you call "excessive play" ... 

There are very few occasions where a 'opening up the nut" is required. Leave it alone. Unless it's a cheap guitar, or somebody monkeyed with it, most come from the factory the way they should be.

Moving up slightly to " 10's" should not cause any set up issues. They will still be very playable, and offer better tone on your ES 335 or ES 390 (or any similar semi-hollow guitar) 

For Brands; I like D'Addario, or Gibson strings on these guitars. Not the coated ones... but again, it's a personal choice.

Cheers; Neil

Thank you.  Im in Houston and we are hurting down here.  we are not geared for cold weather...be back intouch.