• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Been doing fingerstyle course for a few months and I'm finding progress somewhat slow in terms of getting some of the patterns up to the reccommended 88bpm.

In particular the bar ones I find tricky (can do the chords fairly well but hand gets tired quite quickly). 

I do only practice around 20-30 mins 5 times a week so maybe this is not quite enough but not sure. How long do people tend to take in the sections? session 1 took a good month+ for me. 

FYI I've worked up to around sesh 16 in l&m guitar. 

Thanks 

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Administrators
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966
  • Device:  Macintosh

Great question,

I'm glad you're learning.  Session 2 in the Fingerstyle course is a big one, so it's not surprising to me if it takes a month or two.

This session is all about muscle control and finger dexterity.  In other words, getting your fingers to cooperate with what your brain is telling them to do.

My advice is to practice it slowly and carefully. 

The primary goal is to get the finger motions correct.

Once you do that then it's pretty easy to pick up the tempo.  But speed will never happen until the finger motions are correct.  So focus mainly on getting the finger motions correct.

Try and get as many notes and strings to ring out as possible.  In other words - don't cut off notes or strings before you need to. 

Strive for a very smooth and legato flowing sound - not short and choppy.

Follow along with me in the video at the end of your practice session to make sure you are doing the exercise correctly.

Hope this helps.

Glad you're part of our guitar family!

- Steve

• Member ID:  1,293
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/22/2019 at 6:01 PM, Steve Krenz said:

Great question,

I'm glad you're learning.  Session 2 in the Fingerstyle course is a big one, so it's not surprising to me if it takes a month or two.

This session is all about muscle control and finger dexterity.  In other words, getting your fingers to cooperate with what your brain is telling them to do.

My advice is to practice it slowly and carefully. 

The primary goal is to get the finger motions correct.

Once you do that then it's pretty easy to pick up the tempo.  But speed will never happen until the finger motions are correct.  So focus mainly on getting the finger motions correct.

Try and get as many notes and strings to ring out as possible.  In other words - don't cut off notes or strings before you need to. 

Strive for a very smooth and legato flowing sound - not short and choppy.

Follow along with me in the video at the end of your practice session to make sure you are doing the exercise correctly.

Hope this helps.

Glad you're part of our guitar family!

- Steve

Hey Steve, thank you very much for the encouraging words and the great courses! I'll keep at it, starting to tick off exercises at 88bpm now.