• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  36
  • Device:  Windows

I’ve been trying to complete my guitar arsenal for the past 9 months. Not an easy task, especially when you’re looking for an affordable archtop jazz guitar. Since I’m not into the used market, I initially chose D’Angelico Excel EXL-1. But, after nine months of delays and no ETA, I began to consider alternatives that might be still in stock. I already have an entry level jazz box, so this time I needed something better.

I settled on an Epiphone Broadway. But, I didn’t want just a stock item. I decided to have it customized to sound more like a Gibson L-5. Guitar tech who inspected the electronics said that the pots were actually CTS and the toggle switch was Gibson spec. Those parts didn’t have to be replaced. Since the stock item comes with 10 – 46 string gauge, that had to be changed. I ordered a new TUSQ nut slotted for 12 – 52 string gauge, flat wound strings, Gibson ‘57 Classic humbuckers, and low action setup. Hardshell case had to be added as well. All this made the guitar still affordable, but not cheap.

There was one thing I wasn’t sure about - the Frequensator tailpiece. And as luck would have it, the guitar tech actually owns a 40s Epiphone archtop and has nothing but good things to say about the Frequensator, and the way that it balances out the bass and treble strings.

Here’s what the person I was dealing with had to say about the archtop after the modifications: The guitar is all done and sounds great! I just gave it a quick test through a Deluxe Reverb and the new pickups and the set up with flat wounds has made a huge difference!” and “Let me know how you get along with the guitar once it arrives, I was quite impressed once it was finished so I'm hoping you have a similar experience.”

large.1409661446_EpiphoneBroadway01.JPG.9c4e8e07209963d328610dc022e9a4a0.JPG     large.1226155247_EpiphoneBroadway02.JPG.0a785843541a47ede5be1151c68c4a56.JPG

I got this beauty out of province. Even though it was strictly an Internet deal, I was confident about the end result. The stock guitar might’ve been transferred to a preferred local store for my personal inspection before modifications. However, I was impressed enough with detailed communication and the level of service, so I passed on that.

So what’s my experience with it? I’ve only had it for a few days, but my initial experience with the instrument is very positive. It is easy to play and sounds really great through my BluesCube Artist. It does cause feedback if it’s too close to the amp, so it’s something to be aware of. I think the modifications were a good choice. There are no flaws in the finish, and I find the whole guitar a fine piece of workmanship.

Despite its L-5 dimensions and tone wood combination, I find the guitar quite comfortable and not very heavy. If you’re into jazz guitar and not a beginner player, this guitar offers a big bang for your buck. Add a few modifications and you have a premium jazz box. By the way, it’s not a paid endorsement, just an honest review. In case someone finds it useful, I’m including the full specs (modifications listed in bold) for reference:

2019 EPIPHONE BROADWAY – Hand-Crafted in China

• Headstock: Large "Clipped Ear" style with Mother-of-Pearl "Vine" Inlay

• Tuners: Grover Rotomatic, 18:1 ratio

• Hardware Plating: Gold

• Nut: TUSQ XL ¼” Epiphone slotted

• Nut Width: 1 11/16”

• Neck Material: Hard Maple

• Neck Shape: Slim-taper, C Profile

• Neck Joint: Glued-in, Set Neck

• Fingerboard Material: Pau Ferro (offers feel and tone between rosewood and ebony)

• Fingerboard Inlay: Mother-of-pearl/Abalone Block and Triangle

• Fingerboard Radius: 12"

• Frets: 20 medium-jumbo

• Scale Length: 25 ½"

• Body Type: Hollow-body

• Body Shape: Broadway with Venetian Cutaway

• Body Material: Laminated Maple

• Top Material: Select Spruce

• Binding: Multi-ply on Headstock, Body & Fingerboard, Single-ply on F holes

• Body Size: 17” Lower Bout, 3 1/8” Deep

• Body Finish: Gloss

• Color: Vintage Natural

• Pick-guard: Multi-bound Imitation "Tortoise" with metal "E"

• Bridge: Adjustable Floating, Pau Ferro

• Tailpiece: Frequensator™ Split Trapeze

• Neck Pickup: Gibson ‘57 Classic Humbucker

• Bridge Pickup: Gibson ‘57 Classic Humbucker

• Controls: 2-Volume, 2-Tone

• Pickup Selector: 3-way Toggle Switch

• Strings: D’Addario Chromes 12 – 52 Flat Wound

• Optional: Jumbo Acoustic Hardshell Case

I may install a Tune-o-matic bridge for archtop, or even change the tailpiece in the future. But for now, I’ll leave that vintage look intact.

• Like 5

• Member ID:  157
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Congratulations on a great looking guitar.  I was at a local Club featuring Nicole Zuraitis, a jazz pianist who has a lovely voice, and her guitarist was performing with a Telecaster-like guitar.  I’m not a Jazz Cat, but the Tele surprised me.  Go figure. 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  10
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  36
  • Device:  Windows

@Plantsman13

I hope you enjoyed the performance at the club. I’m sure you know that Jazz guitar is not really gear specific, but it does set the standard. Ed Bickert, Ted Greene, John Scofield are good examples of jazz players using Teles. Although purists may claim that Gibson L-5 is the only true jazz box, what you’re most comfortable with, matters the most. Great jazz tone can be dialed in using solid-, semi-, or hollow-body guitar. Nonetheless, I see that the most frequently used guitar types for Jazz are: ES-335, ES-175, and L-5. It’s nice to have the options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1