• Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966
  • Device:  Macintosh

Community Slider - Resource of the Month.jpg

Hey gang,

This month, I've found some great resources for learning the amazing Steve Vai.  Arguably one of the best Rock guitarists on the planet, Steve Vai has had a legendary career with lots of Grammy's on his fireplace mantel.

He's a brilliant player. 

I remember being in Clarkston, Washington doing music for a camp when I saw his world-record breaking online guitar lesson.  One of the questions that a wannabe asked him was "What do I do to play like you?".  I thought Steve's answer was brilliant.  He answered....  "Do what I did."

I searched through a bunch of resources to find the best ones for learning "what he did".  And here's what I found...

Steve Vai's Guitar Workout Book

Steve Vai Guitar Play-Alongs

Steve Vai's Music Theory Book for Guitarists - Vaideology

We put them all in a bundle and made them available for you at a great price.

You can check them out HERE.

Guitar World Presents STEVE VAI'S GUITAR WORKOUT (40pg Book)

SVGBVaiGuitarWorkoutFrontCover.jpg   SVGBVaiWorkoutBackCover.jpg

Since its appearance in Guitar World in 1990, Vai's intensive guitar regimen has been the Holy Grail for serious players. Here is the lesson that shaped a generation of guitarists. Vai sat down with guitarist/transcriber Dave Whitehill and outlined his practice routine for Guitar World. Never before had a guitarist given such an in-depth explanation of his musical exercise regimen. It became a must-have for guitarists. Many of the players interviewed have cited it as an influence on their development as guitarists.

Here's a chance to experience the workout in its original form and to learn some of the things Vai has done to develop his formidable chops and remarkable music vocabulary.

In this book, Steve Vai reveals his path to virtuoso enlightenment with two challenging guitar workouts – one 10-hour and one 30-hour – which include scale and chord exercises, ear training, sight-reading, music theory, and much more. 

Here are some sample pages...

SVGBVaiWorkoutContents.jpg  SVGBVaiWorkoutSamplePage2.jpg   SVGBVaiWorkoutSamplePage3.jpg

STEVE VAI GUITAR PLAY ALONG (88pg Book & Online Audio)

SVGBVaiPlayAlongFrontCover.jpg    SVGBVaiPlayAlongBackCover.jpg  

The Guitar Play-Along Series will help you play your favorite songs quickly and easily! Just follow the tab, listen to the sound-alike audio to hear how the guitar should sound, and then play along using the separate backing tracks. The audio is available online for download or streaming, and it is enhanced so you can adjust the recording to any tempo without changing pitch!

8 Steve Vai classic songs written in music and TAB including: The Attitude Song • The Crying Machine • Die to Live • For the Love of God • I Would Love To • Sunshine Electric Raindrops • Tender Surrender • Touching Tongues.

Here are some sample pages...

SVGBVaiPlayAlongSamplePage1.jpg  SVGBVaiPlayAlongSamplePage2.jpg  SVGBVaiPlayAlongSamplePage3.jpg

VAIDEOLOGY: Basic Music Theory for Guitar Players (96 pg Book)

SVGBVaideologyCover.jpg    SVGBVaideologyBackCover.jpg

Named Guardians of Guitar 2019 NAMM top pick!

Experience must-know music knowledge and wisdom through the highly focused lens of legendary guitar virtuoso Steve Vai.

This full-color instructional book written by Vai himself features in-depth discussions of the music theory fundamentals that every aspiring (and veteran) guitar player should know, packed with practical exercises, diagrams, tips, inspiring ideas and concepts, practice methods, and ways of looking at music that you may have never considered.

Topics covered include: academic vs. experiential learning • reading and writing music • key signatures • chord scales • rhythm basics • guitar harmonics • modes • and much more.

This beautiful book is full-color throughout and features artwork on every page by Vai!

SVGBVaideologySamplePage1.jpg  SVGBVaideologySamplePage3.jpg  SVGBVaideologySamplePage4.jpg

Three powerful resources personally created by Steve Vai to help you reach your guitar goals.

• His Personal Legendary Workouts

• Learn and Play Classic Steve Vai Songs

• His explanation of Music Theory for Guitar Players

You can check them out HERE.

Learn all you can! - Steve 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

Thanks Steve! I'll make sure everything is there and functional, then put it all away until I'm ready. Thanks for saving us the search time.

Phil

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

Wow, does this bring back memories. If anyone doesn't have "Passion And Warfare" go get it NOW! That and "Surfing with the Alien" by Joe Satriana basically kicked off the instrumental rock genre almost 30 years ago.

Steve Vai's genius was recognized by the late Frank Zappa, who hired him to not only play for his band when he was 18, but to transcribe his whole catalog BY EAR. Amazing stuff.

I had the original 30 hour work out article in Guitar World magazine from 1990!

I just got the Vaideology book this week and it is really great. Will do a review on my YouTube channel soon if people are interested.

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

Thanks for the Vaideology review, Old Guy. Great stuff!

I received the materials today. The play along: it's going to be awhile! Too advanced for now, which is great for later. The music theory book I'll begin slowly integrating with L & M. The 10 and 30 hour workouts!!! What a nut for guitar Steve Vai is. It's inspiring to see how deeply, intuitively and intellectually Steve goes in his practice. He strongly emphasizes correct playing of each note/chord along with the sound you intend to make.

Thanks Steve Krentz! This is great material. Now back to those guitar miles...

Phil

• Thanks 1