• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1993

I just started the how music works series on Youtube. The first episode is major scales. 

I feel like I will learn to memorize these scales better by knowing where they are played on guitar. 

For example: G scale G-3fret, A 5th fret, B 7th fret C 8th fret D 9th fret E 12th F# 14th and g 15th.

I feel like there is a gap when trying to learn from the PDF file because my mind wants to place them as a note on the fret board. 

Any feed back is welcome

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@Dbarker  Hi, there, and welcome to our forum! Because you're new, some background could be helpful. You might already be aware that a number of years ago, Steve created a complete guitar course on DVDs and CDs, published by Legacy Learning Systems in association with Gibson. More recently, he has repurposed and enhanced much of that material in his Live Lessons and workouts. The "How Music Works" series is essentially the music theory portion of the course. The first lesson is concerned only with concepts: simple intervals (seconds), major and relative minor scale relationships, and key signatures. The practice of locating and playing major scales is addressed later, and quite thoroughly in his major scale mastery workouts. Of course, you can work on these sequentially or simultaneously, as you like. There are many systems and aids for learning the notes on the fretboard; find and use what works for you.

• Like 1