• Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

I went to buy a Tube Screamer from my local music store, but they didn't have any in stock. The salesperson recommended the East River Drive pedal. I decided to go for it, and I am glad I did. Frankly, I am not that good using this type of effect yet so I was happy that it only cost $69 to purchase. I was also happy to find Premier Guitar gave it a strong review. Check out John Bohlinger as he puts the pedal through the test. If you are looking for an inexpensive overdrive pedal maybe the East River Drive is a good choice for you.

Electro-Harmonix East River Drive Review 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

Cool! I think you'll like it.  EHX, Boss and MXR put out some really cool, reasonably price effects pedals.

Just add gain a bit at a time and set the volume to be a little jump from your rhythm tone and you'll get it dialed in. Too much gain and/or too much volume boost are common issues trying to dial in a useable tone.

FWIW,  I have the EHX Soul Food but its not currently on my board, due to space considerations.  The SF works best as a boost to put some hair on the amps tone and I among many don't love it at higher (still relatively low) gain settings.  I got a deal on a used Wampler Euphoria and didn't have room for both as I would like.  The SF is its own thing and I like it for cleaner stuff but the Wampler got the spot for now.  If I ever rearrange my analog board, I'll take the amp switcher off it and make room for both the SF and the Euphoria.  This is the downside of cutting and soldering your own custom length jumpers.  It makes moving anything other than just a pedal swap more of a proposition.

Edited by Six String
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

@Six String Thanks for the tips. I am still trying to figure out how to get the sound I want. My Peavey Classic 30 also has a built in Drive and dirty channel. Things can get nasty in a hurry. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  275
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

I think the east river drive is a direct clone of the tube screamer circuit. I spent some time DIYing some pedals this winter, and while my understanding of them is rudimentary, I did find that many are the same circuit almost exactly. The tube screamers, the yellow Boss overdrive pedal, the East River, and numerous others. (Even the TS9 and TS808 are very similar and it’s easy to covert one into the other.)

There seem to be two main types, the tube screamers which cut bass and have a variable treble cut and boost the rest while adding some color, and the more transparent ones which go for a flatter boost with just a bit of color.

(That’s before you get into distortion where a lot of them seem to be based on the RAT or the Voodoo Labs Pedal, like the OCD is)

For me, I didn’t like the tube screamers for a long time. They seem to work best with single coils and I felt like they added gain but made the tone seem flatter. Where they really shine I think is when you put a tube screamer type after a pedal of the other type and run them both at once. Some people like the reverse arrangement too.

I have  a Klon KTR which is the same as a Centaur, just the modern version, and I leave that on all the time and put the tube screamer after it as a further boost. They sound great! 

Sorry for the long winded post. I need to type less and play the things more 😁

Edited by colder
  • Like 3

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

Congrats on a cool new pedal!!

Tube Screamer type pedals work best when your clean channel is barely on the verge of break up. Especially if you are looking for a SRV type blues tone. Here's a great video Pete Thorn did on setting up a Tube Screamer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1